Monday, April 30, 2018

30 April 2018

So, I decided to try to start a Vlog type of deal here. It's pretty weird, and is basically just me talking about my day in a video format. I'll share the Google Drive folder here, but don't expect too much out of it. I just sit there and ramble. If you want greater detail on how my week went and not just what I can remember by Monday, that's the place to go. Anyways, now for the week.
So, Thursday was an interesting day. We had a few appointments to go to in St. Pauls, which is the furthest city away that we actually work in. (Got to love the mile limit.) So we were knocking doors for a little while but then we decided to move on to another area. Well, we took a wrong turn while we were walking, and ended up in downtown St Pauls, about 2-2 1/2 miles from where we parked. Whoops. So, we figured that we could just head back to the car and knock some doors on the way back. As we turned around to head back, a police officer pulled up. He asked us if we had parked our car where we had left it, and we said yes. Apparently we had accidentally parked on somebody's property (it didn't look that way, but oh well) and the owner had called the police. The officer had gone to the car and checked the plate, but then saw that it belonged to the church. So he knew that it was missionaries and just kind of drove around town looking for us. He found us and just asked us to move the car. As soon as possible. So that made knocking on the way back kind of not going to happen. Especially because as he pulled away, another officer pulled in behind him and demanded to know if we were soliciting. We said we weren't, we were missionaries. He gave us a dirty look and then drove away. I liked the first one a lot more. After that, we decided to speed walk all the way to the car and get there before we got towed or something. We had barely started off when someone yelled at us from the stairs leading up to his apartment, "Hey! Are y'all the Jehovah's Witnesses?" We said no, and he said sorry, he just wanted someone to pray for him. We looked at each other and told him, "Well, we are missionaries!" So we walked up and he explained that his life had been pretty rough lately and that he just wanted some comfort. He then stuck out his fists as if he wanted us to fist bump him. We obliged. At which point he looked at us weirdly and said, "Oh, so you don't pray?" We were confused, but reassured him that we did and just weren't always familiar with the different ways that people prayed. So we put our fists together and Elder Turner prayed. During the whole prayer, this person was prayer talking a lot. It's always pretty funny when happens. For those of you unfamiliar with this phenomena, it is when someone begins to "help out" with the prayer by offereing commentary during the prayer, usually in the form of saying things such as, "Yes, Jesus" or "Thank you, Father" commonly repeated throughout the prayer. It was an interesting experience. After that, we kind of booked it back to the car, which thankfully was still there and ticketless. Thanks again, first police officer. 
On Friday? we had a lesson with our only investigator who has a baptismal date. It went pretty well, and he still seems to be interested in learning more and progressing. We got to teach him the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and he committed to live it. We committed him to go to church with us as well, but he texted us the morning of and told us that he couldn't make it, so that was pretty sad. 
On Saturday, we used a lot of miles. We had to go to Red Springs for an appointment, which is pretty far away. It went fairly well, and she seems to be open to learning. And then we had to go to Hope Mills to help out one of our members. And then back to Red Springs for more knocking and appointments. Still, it was a pretty good day.
Sunday was pretty cool, mostly because I had to translate. Now, the weird thing about me was that translating from English to Spanish was easy. I could do that no problem. But, going from Spanish to English was nigh impossible. But Elder Clement (who did it before for me) is gone, and this was the first week that our member who normally translates was gone. So it fell to me. I actually wasn't really nervous, which probably helped a lot. The hardest part about translating is that it is a live translation, and so I'm listening to it as it happens and speaking at the same time. The first time I tried this here was three months ago, and I didn't translate much of anything, and passed it off to my comp halfway through the first talk. The branch president's wife afterwards had told me how terrible it was. She's a very straightforward  lady who tells you what's on her mind. But this time I actually had to take over for my comp and translated the entire meeting without a problem. She came up to me afterwards and told me how great I did. So, I'll take that as a sign that I have improved a lot. 
Our district meeting was the only other really interesting thing that happened this week. It was really good, and we had some great role play time. The only issue I have with the role plays is that ever since the role play jar that has everyone's names on slips of paper was introduced, I have been drawn to do it for all but one time. Coincidence? I think not! But we had some really great instructions, and it was just super good overall. And I learned how to use chopsticks, which apparently isn't that hard at all. Also, this might just be the longest email I've sent. 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment