Saturday, March 9, 2013

A Day with the Missionaries

Today was an interesting day to say the least.  We had our 2nd missionary readiness conference and I thought I knew what was coming.  It would be the same thing as last year, come and get a mission assignment, and learn what its like to have a day in the MTC. I figured it would be pretty easy, since I already done it once in the Rome, Italy mission last year.So I get there about 8:00am to get my mission call.  It was available for Priests and Laurels in our Stake, but Tom couldn't make it.  So I receive my call, Mexico, in some city I wouldn't even try to spell or pronounce. So I would be learning Spanish today.  It was a packet filled with Preach my Gospel, conference talks, a notepad, gospel pamphlets, bascially everything you need to be a missionary for a day in the MTC, except scriptures. I went sat down, and watched as people trickled in.  About ten minutes later, Brother Ratatta of the Stake Young Mens Presidency came up to me and said, "Battraw, can I see your packet." So I handed over my packet, and he takes and gives me a smaller one. I realize that it must have been Toms they had given me, so I looked my new packet over to see what it said. Nothing. Completely blank. It was very thin in comparison to one they had just taken. I looked over the few papers inside. Just blank forms.  Then the meeting started and I found out what I would be doing since I was doing this for my second year. I was now a missionary for the day for the Indianapolis, Indiana Cumberland Ward English Speaking mission. After a lesson, about 9:30, the few of us second years, maybe 7-8, were told to report to the gym and pick up three box lunches and wait for instructions.  After completeting that, I was driven 20 minutes out to meet the elders I would be with till 3:00pm that day.  It was Elder Knight and Knowles. First we had an appointment with someone who wanted to be baptized/  We talked about the Word of Wisdom and Enduring to the End.  Then it was lunch.  We ate our box lunches and then it was off to a 1pm appointment.  Another discussion, this time, the 1st one. We didn't get all the way through it, but tried our best.  2pm, we had another appointment, but that one feel through so we went tracting. We found 2 ladies who were interested, and were going to set up a later time.  The last house we did, someone let us in, and we had basically, the first discussion.  It was really cool.  The entire day was a lot of fun.  Then my ride showed up and took me back to the Stake Center where we had a final testimony meeting and then left.  It was a great day, and I can't wait for my own mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment