Monday, July 16, 2018

16 July 2018

So, tomorrow (as everyone around me keeps reminding me of) is my year left point. My official release date is to be 17 July, 2019. Everyone around me is very excited, probably because we have four missionaries in our district all going home on that day. Well, the halfway point for the Spanish misionaries going home that day is actually not until next week, and our year on a mission isn't until the week after that. English missionaries hit their halfway point last week. This is due to MTC time counting for the Spanish missionaries but not for the English ones, mostly because the Spanish ones had to spend twice as long in it.
The week itself wasn't super eventful, but I went on exchanges with someone in my district named Elder Barnes. He's pretty cool, and he's in the same group as me time-wise. It's nice to be able to work with a whole bunch of different people and see how others work, sometimes you can get stuck in a rut and not end up doing what the person really needs. Right after that exchange, we had district meeting and I went on exchange with one of my Zone Leaders, Elder Sannar. He's another really cool guy, and I learned a lot on how to work with the members from that exchange. We didn't get to tract much on that exchange, but I still think that it helped. We also got to help prepare one of the youth in our ward get ready for the mission and teach him a little bit on how to teach the Restoration. It's kind of funny, because he only speaks Spanish and is probably going to have to learn English on his mission. He struggles with that the most. It is also interesting to reflect back  on the beginning of my mission in the MTC and realize that I struggled as much as he did teaching. Actually, I struggled a lot more because my Spanish was truly terrible. Which also makes me think about how much I've improved there. In the MTC, if we diverted from the very carefully planned and written out lesson that we had, I would be completely lost and my companion (who, funnily enough, is also my companion out here right now) would take over thhe lesson entirely and I would sit there trying to keep up, and generally failing at even that. But yesterday, we were talking to the brother-in-law of one of our investigators and he was shocked to find out that I was even American. Apparantly, he had thought that I was from Spain. This is despite the fact that I don't have a Spanish accent at all, I've been told that mine resembles just a mix of people from Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Chile. Which all have very distinct forms of Spanish, so mostly if someone doesn't assume that I'm American, they're just way confused about where I might be from. It's just crazy to think that I've been able to reach this point with Spanish so fast, I know that it's only with the Lord's help that I've been able to do this. I took five years of German in school, and I wasn't ever even close to where I am in Spanish. It would always take me a second to switch between English and German mentally, but I can switch between English and Spanish literally without thinking. I sometimes find myself thinking in Spanish even! This is just so incredible to me because I don't even have the chance to be fully immersed, but the Lord gives us what we need to help the people we talk to. I'm excited to see what might happen in the next year. 
For other random things in the week, we had interviews on Wednesday for the first time with President Holland. He assured us that they were very different this time than what they were normally going to be, and then proceeded to talk to us for the whole time about our families. It was a get to know you type thing, but it was still kind of strange. It'll take  while until I'm as comfortable with him as I was with President James. Still, I look forwards to the opportunity. And another random cool thing, we got to talk with one of our investigators for the 4th time today. That's pretty rare out here, they're very rarely there for their return appointments. We're just trying to get him ready and willing to go to church. We know he likes having us around, partly because we don't badmouth the other churches. We can tell he likes having us around because he made us carne asada and hot dogs, and tried to get us to eat a lot of it. And then invited us to go fishing with him and his brother in law (same one as before) so that he could make us catfish. We had to politely decline, we're pretty sure it's not allowed. We're not 100% sure, but it doesn't hurt not going just to be safe. 
Well, I think that's about it for the week. I know that I'll remember something huge soon, but for now that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment