Monday, January 29, 2018

29 January 2018

Yes, we are a technology mission. The long awaited day (for some) has finally arrived. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan because I know some missionaries will use it as a crutch in their work rather than just a tool to help improve it. Most of all, I hope I won't use it as a crutch. Still, onward and upward. I haven't had the chance to use the Area Book and Planner apps yet, but I've heard that they're phenomenally useful. Unfortunately, I'm having some technology issues right now that are hopefully getting resolved.
This week has mostly been a lot of knocking doors. So much knocking doors. I haven't done this much since Raleigh, and that's saying something. Still it's bringing us in contact with some great people who seem like they could be really ready to accept the gospel. Our biggest problem is how huge our area is. In all of my previous areas, I could ask "When would be a good time for us to come back?" Now I have to ask "We'll be in the area on (insert day here). Can we come back that day?" Still, we're working. The best places to find people to teach are trailer parks. So we sat down with some members and discussed the locations of every trailer park they could think of. We have quite a few, but we're running through them pretty quickly. Still, we're finding a lot of people and if they keep their return appointments then we won't have to tract quite as much! And tracting in trailer parks is pretty funny. You'll be knocking on someone's door, and they'll say that they're not interested. We respond by asking them if there's anyone in the area who speaks Spanish, because we mostly teach in Spanish. Every time, they'll look you in the eye and say something to the effect of, "Son, (or honey, sweetie, baby, or however they feel like addressing us that time. Yup. I'm in the South.) EVERYONE around here does." Which boosts your confidence about finding someone in the area who does until 4 or 5 unopened doors later you repeat the exact same experience. Which makes you begin to wonder about how much people actually know their neighbors. Still, you get to see some interesting stuff while tracting. Like stores out of the back of trucks, weirdly friendly dogs, and burned out trailers. ​​​​​ 
Some dogs that followed us around for a few minutes
 
Just a completely burned out trailer that looked like it had been sitting there for a long time.
 
And then this dog that followed us around for about an hour that would come up onto the doorstep with us. That got some interesting reactions. "Is that your dog?" "Actually, we have no idea who's he is." "Well he looks scary." It kind of made me sad to leave him, because as we were trying to drive away, he kept on walking in front of the car so we couldn't. We would stop, he would walk up to my door, I would start again, and he'd be right back in front of the car. Eventually, I got away, but he ran after the car for a while, then stopped. I don't think he's been given some love for a long time. Makes me wish we didn't have a rule against having pets out here. 
Sunday was interesting. Our branch president called us and asked if we could bear our testimonies the next day. We said sure, but then I started worrying. Now, my last ward was English with a Spanish translation. This branch is full Spanish like my first one. Now, this was the first time I've had to speak in front of a crowd since my farewell. Somehow I'd managed to avoid it up until almost six months into my mission. So the time came around and I got up and bore my testimony about member missionary work. I wish I could tell you more about what I said, but I don't remember. I don't like speaking in front of crowds, especially without having anything planned out. So, all I remember is the topic vaguely. Afterwards, members were coming up to me and congratulating me on my Spanish and testimony, and I was just sitting there like, "Well, it's a good thing that they know what I said, because I sure don't!" And then in third hour we had an English speaker that I was translating for, but the topic (keeping the Sabbath day holy) started to get really heated. You know how it's hard to keep up with a whole bunch of people talking really fast over each other? I invite you to try to translate that from a language you're still learning. I got maybe half of it done well. Then after church we were going to visit a member who's in the hospital to give her the sacrament with a couple of members. Now, one of the members had a meeting that we didn't know about, and so we waited until he was done an hour later. Our church ends at 4, so it was already almost 5:30. Then we had a very long travel time to the hospital, gave the sacrament, and then the members drove us to their house for dinner. They didn't tell us they were going to give us dinner until then, and so we had no idea. All in all, we didn't even get back to our car at the church until 8:30, so we couldn't really do that much. 
This morning we had a cool little moment with a Walmart greeter. She stopped us and asked who we were, and so we got to explain a little about what we do and why we do it. She  seemed interested, but very devout in her own faith. Maybe she'll feel that desire to keep learning. Who knows?

Have a great week y'all! (And I said "y'all" before the mission too so that's not new.)

No comments:

Post a Comment